January 18th, 2012
Today’s recipe may not be quite as healthy as my last one (Hemp Honey “Donut” Holes) – but it sure is tasty!
Growing up, I ate my fair share of turnips and turnip greens. I have eaten turnips boiled and raw. I love them. I hadn’t; however, eaten them fried until today.
This isn’t a magical recipe or anything fancy but it sure made for a filling, comforting Southern style meal on a cold winter’s day….
I prepared and fried my turnips just like I would potatoes.
Tasty Fried Turnips Recipe
- Diced onion
- Bacon grease
- Peel and slice turnips to the size you want (long, skinny or short, wide, etc.) – however you like your potatoes fried.
- Heat skillet over low-medium heat, putting peeled, sliced turnips in.
- Drizzle oil (bacon grease is best!) over the turnips and turn turnips over here and there to coat them with oil.
- Cover with a lid for a bit, letting the steam soften them.
- Uncover and let cook until golden-crisp.
- Serve with bacon cheeseburger and sliced tomato like I did, with a side of ketchup, or whatever you prefer to dip your fries in.
I served my bacon cheeseburger without bread to make up for frying my turnips.
Be sure to check out my other recipes:
You might want to check out some of my other recipes: